Saturday, January 29, 2011

What a Week!!!

Hands down the best week so far this year (and may be tough to beat for quite some time) - Jen is in REMISSION!!!  As the icing on the cake; the winter weather cleared up (I like to think because of my last post of endless bellyaching) enough to get my new bike out on the street.  I also had a very successful week of training, especially considering I was out of town (something I typically struggle mightily with), and oh - look at that...2 new followers - welcome friends.

So let's start at the beginning (actually it was toward the end, but...) - We all know Jen had completed her last round of chemotherapy, and although this is the result we were expecting, the only thing better than saying the word is realizing its meaning.  We met with Dr. Sheehan on Thursday, and I actually must have glazed over when she actually made the "announcement".  I didn't figure it was official until the radiation was over, but nonetheless Jen filled me in that she was indeed in remission.  So there it is - a few weeks of radiation and life gets back to normal (if there is such a thing).  Regardless, we're excited to put this whole ordeal behind us, and one MONUMENTAL step is now complete.

Those of you who didn't have to work on Friday (which didnt' include me) were greeted with a huge treat in the middle of winter - an almost 60 degree day.  The night before, I didn't believe it even as Gary Lezak opened his arms and spouted off the expected high temperature in such glee that one only expects when Gary is forecasting "thunderstorms!".  I waited until 2pm to check the temperature (48).  Now that's a little cold to go biking (especially since I really don't have any cold weather cycling gear), but when you have a new bike burning a hole in your trainer - it may as well have been 75.  I negotiated a 3pm departure time with my carpool, and raced home to beat sundown.  I threw on my cycling gear like the kid from "The night before Christmas" threw up the sash (what does that mean anyways?), pumped up the tires, and headed out the door.  The first thing I notice - this is comfortable, and I can tell my trainer sessions haven't gone un-noticed.  When I get to the first big descent, I figured I'd just coast into it, still trying to get a feel.  Typically I hit around 23-24mph on this hill while riding my roadie - I hit 29mph on my new bike.  Maybe I'm hallucinating, or just misremembering because this isn't my favorite descent, but when approaching a favorite -2% grade, I decided to hit it a little harder.  Typically I'm pushing as HARD as I can on this decline to reach 30mph.  Without completely hammering my pedals as usual, I reached 32mph.  The synopsis - I LOVE this bike, and couldn't be happier with my purchase.  Jen got home and knew I had taken it out, not because it was covered with road grime (I cleaned it off afterwards), but because she said I had a huge smile on my face (I just love smiling - smiling's my favorite).  It was the perfect way to wrap up the work-week.  The weekend has a lot to live up to.

I think I've broken my promise of no long posts, but nonetheless I have to talk about my travelling experience this week.  We went to Chicago for 2 days of work.  I did a fantastic job of ordering soups, salads, and other fare that would not spoil my goals for the week. This was a big victory for me, because I typically hate ordering "healthy" food from restaurants since I know I can do a better job of creating more nutritional dishes.  When we got finished on site we went back to the hotel, and we discussed a 2 hour "break" before dinner.  I decided to cease the opportunity and get on the treadmill in the hotels.  About a mile into my run (I set out for 4), a (I'm not going to say "big") woman climbed aboard the treadmill next to me.  For around 12-14 minutes I didn't notice anything because I was engulfed in Harold and Kumar's light hearted journey to White Castle (was that Neil Patrick Harris?).  Over the numbing hum of the treadmill and Kumar's banter about how KFC just won't do - I hear a  faint "oh god".  Little had I noticed, but the "healthy" woman next to me had cranked up her speed to equal mine causing a heavy pant, and the occasional burst of language typically aimed at her deity.  I know what you're thinking...why were allowing Ms. Fitness 1984 to keep up with you...I'll remind you this is recovery week.  I was hovering around 3 miles when I noticed my plodding friend, and the remaining time on the treadmill I was just willing her to remain on the treadmill with all vitals functioning properly.  I could no longer enjoy the journey to White Castle, because I kept thinking the lady was going to fly off the treadmill "Biggest Loser" style and Ashton Kutcher was going to pop out of the closet to record my horrified reaction.  Alas, she maintained her pace, and backed off to a stop shortly after I did.  Sweet relief.  I finished up my abs routine and headed off to dinner thankful that I had finished my workout without having to explain to the paramedics that "no - I dont' know CPR".

That sums up my week thus far - and it was definitely a good one.  The cherry on top would be a Mizzou win over the evil empire known as Texas...Go Tigers!!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment