Friday, January 7, 2011

My New Chariot

 After months (OK years) of toying with the notion of getting a triathlon specific bike, the opportunity was finally presented to me, and thanks to a shove in the right direction by my wonderful wife - I finally pulled the trigger.  After the whole purchasing process (believe me it was a process), and my fitting, I brought it home today.  Not only is it MY new hotness, this bike is THE new hotness.  Trek's new Speed Concept 7.2.  So this bike has been 2 years in the making, and during its development only guys like Chris Lieto (famous triathlete), and Lance Armstrong (if you don't know who he is...stop reading my blog - j/k) were allowed access to it.  OK, it's not exactly the bike those dignitaries rode (that would be the 9.9 series), but it's as close as I can get, and I'm excited.  

Now new bikes have a kind of sticky grease layer on their transmission which usually works its way off and you replace with a more slick grease to keep it running smoothly.  However, usually you don't bring it home in the back of a truck with sandbags that have a little (hidden) leak. 

You know the feeling you have after playing sand volleyball?  Well that's what my bike had to feel like.  You can imagine - sand EVERYWHERE!!!  As awful as it was and as mad as I was at myself, after some time with a toothbrush, some WD-40, and the garden hose (yes it is 24 degrees outside), I was able to get it back to its new condition (at far as I can tell).

So there it is - the bike that will take me from T1 to T2 in Philadelphia.  I can't wait until I get to ride it outside (Damn you winter!!!), but until then it will live here in our living room on the trainer where its engine will continue to tune up.

No comments:

Post a Comment