Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year! (Introduction to the Blog)

Well, I decided to start this blog to document this whole journey, and although I officially have no followers at this point (is that sad?) I figured I better go ahead and throw up a post today. What better time to get started than on the first day of the new year, right?

Since this is my first "official" post, and am new to the whole blogger thing, perhaps this is as good a time/place as any to explain the point of this particular endeavour (I promise future posts won't be this long):

I started endurance racing (and I use the term racing loosely, because I'm NOT fast) a few years ago. Through the natural progression I established that my sport of choice was triathlon (swimming is boring, there aren't a ton of cycling events in the mid-west, and running seems so "everyday", but when you combine them somehow it all seems a little more tolerable). Realizing that more can come of these events than personal gains, I started to explore racing for a cause which lead me to LLS - Team in Training (TNT), check out the link up top. Ironically while contemplating whether or not I wanted to commit to doing the fundraising required by this program (which is really not my bag), my wife (Jen) was diagnosed with stage 2 Hodgkin's lymphoma. Although no one wants to be diagnosed with cancer, (a startling statistic exists that 1 in 3 people will realize "I have cancer" at one point in their life) if you're going to get one - this is the one to wish for. She is currently undergoing the successful treatment of the disease, and we expect a full recovery after a few more crappy months (occasionally I'll include updates to her journey) After the emotion of dealing with that realization, and also the conclusion that everything was going to be alright, I concluded that working with TNT was a small way to give back. It really made the previous decision I was waffling over easy - and here we are! I'm hoping to use this blog as a way to share my thoughts on triathlon training, fundraising, dealing with cancer, etc. in hopes to connect with those who are gracious enough to donate to this cause. Full disclosure - it may not last, because I'm not sure how much time/energy it's worth and really if anyone cares all that much to read about it.

Anyways - this is supposed to be about current happenings, right? Well, Jen isn't feeling well today (3rd day removed from her 7th chemo treatment) which is pretty standard operating procedure. Mostly tired, but a little nauseous (this is the worst part of this whole thing for me - the inability to really make anything better). Although I don't officially have a training plan established yet, Truman (the dog) seemed to be looking at me like "we're doing no good here", so I took him out for a quick run. No goals, just to get out of the house. It was a nice day besides being a little cold, and the run went well. I usually run across dog walkers, walkers, runners, kids, squirrels, etc. in our neighborhood, but being national hangover day - there was absolutely no one - I mean vacant streets. So, unfortunately, relatively uneventful today, but I feel like as I begin to write these I'll start looking for/noticing those little idiosyncrasies that are typically overlooked to describe.

That all for now - until next time (if there is a next time:))

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment