Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fundraising goal...check!

A HUGE thank you to my fantastic family and superb friends. It is a little over 7 days from the Philadelphia Triathlon, and I've met (and slightly exceeded) my goal!!!  Unbelievable.  I can remember when I initially contacted LLS/TNT before Jen was diagnosed, just to see what the fundraising amounts were.  When the upwards of $3000 were mentioned...I was like "yeah right", I thought "no way", I said "that's unpossible!!!".  It's clear that I underestimated the generosity of others in the face of a great cause.

The intent of this blog was to, in some small way, connect donors with exactly what this charity is all about.  The people it touches (both patients and participants), the advances in treatment directly attributable to its researchers, and what the future of the organization means to those stricken by cancer.  My hopes were that donations weren't thought of as for my campaign, but more for the cause.  I understand personalization is a big reason why these programs are successful, but I didn't want everyone to lose sight of the overall reason I decided to do this.

On my blog, directly after I met my goal, I wanted to put together a post that could put things in perspective.  Runner's World (although I have not paid them in 2 years) continues to send me issues periodically.  I rarely read the articles, because...well I'd rather post to my blog than read, and you know how good I am at that.  Regardless, I had a trip for work on Tuesday and the June issue came in the mail on Monday night.  Without looking at the cover, I threw it in my bag.  When I got on the plane, I noticed that it was an issue dedicated to "outrunning cancer".  There were several articles on survivor stories, and the impact running has on cancer patients, and survivors.  I found myself getting a little choked up on the plane to Chicago while reading through the issue - while trying to maintain my composure (it felt like the guy next to me was wondering...although I was probably just being paranoid).  One article in particular rung home because it directly addresses programs like LLS's TNT.  The article is very well put together, and instead of foolishly trying to regurgitate the content, I'm going to cut my blog short and ask that you read it...it will give you a very good idea of what your donations mean to so many people.  It's a bit lengthy, but well worth the time.

I'll close by just humbly saying Thank You again...Enjoy! 

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-588--13982-0,00.html

No comments:

Post a Comment