Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Keep Truckin'

I'm going to have to fast forward since I'm becoming bad at keeping promises, and maintaining the blog week-to-week.  I mean, really, now that the weather is nice...who wants to stay inside and be on the computer (especially when that's what you do for work)?  I'll try to get caught up with this (abbreviated) post and keep up for the rest of the trip.

My last "to be continued" post mentioned a slump.  Ultimately my brief vacation combined with a little lull in the fundraising efforts resulted in 5am trainings seeming just a little too early, the dungeon (my basement...AKA training headquarters) seemed a little too dark and damp, and my legs seemed just a little too heavy, and instead of "attacking" workouts I returned to my winter form of just going through the motions.  After a week of the motions, and just when I was determined to power through, I developed a BRUTAL stomach flu.  I won't bore you with any of the details (OK, I won't embarass myself, because it would likely be quite funny to outsiders to describe my misfortune), but let's just say that if I was working out as hard as my bathroom, I'd be running the Boston marathon next year. 

Luckily it only lasted a couple weeks, and while I didn't get behind, I certainly didn't move toward my goal by much.  I'm happy to report that training efforts have resumed to their normal vigor, and fundraising...well, still at a bit of a standstill.  I'm hoping that my last e-mail/letter campaign will pay some dividends and I have a few more followers, and LLS has a few more dollars.  Regardless, I'll continue to work the streets (yeah, it's a little like it sounds) for funds, and trying to be creative to attract potential donors.  I have some more ideas, and hopefully everyone can get in on the fun.

FAST-FORWARD...last weekend was our first full brick workout.  Again I travelled out to BFE to join my team for our weekly training.  This week we started at the Blue Valley Recreation Complex.  We set out to swim in the pool, ride around Johnson County and then Run...yeah, just run.  When we got to the pool, the first thing I noticed was that there were no lane markers.  Typically for a triathlete this is a good thing because it simulates more of an open water effect rather than a pool, because the lane dividers deaden the waves created by the patrons happily slugging through the pond.  Unfortunately, it also means you have to pay extra close attention to make sure you're staying in your lane.  Although I thought I was doing a good enough job, the EXTREMELY POLITE woman next to me didn't exactly share my thoughts.  Coming back to my 8th (or 9th...I always lose track in the pool) turn, the GRACIOUS woman calmly asked if I could shift my swim slightly so she could have just a little more room.  Oh who am I kidding...This (insert derogatory noun), grabbed my leg as if I was ignoring her (maybe I was...).  As I surfaced to see what was important enough to grab a perfect stranger in the pool wearing...swimming gear, I was greeted with a look that would make you think I had just drowned her cat (I always make the correlation to upset people and cats).  Startled, I stopped and asked what the problem was to which she replied - "you need to move over, because I'm already hugging the wall and I almost ran into you twice".  Normally I would have apologized and just made every effort to stay out of her way, but I was almost done and frankly didn't care since this request was a steep order considering there were no lane markers...I simply replied "ok", and continued swimming.  I didn't really notice, but I think she came up again at the end of the pool because I was crowding her again, but I was getting out to start my bike and well...didn't care.
   
After my swimming experience, to which my team all heard about from the coach and hackled me as the "lane hog", I headed out on my bike.  A relatively eventless bike ride through southern Johnson County.  I dropped a chain which caused a little damage to my new bike, but the shop is operating on it now, and should be good as new by tomorrow.  The run also was relatively uneventful, nonetheless I finished with good pace and feel.  Overall I was very happy with my workout.

When we got back, we were informed that our least experienced team member, Melissa, was still out on her bike.  Coach Dave seemed worried and asked if I would set out to see if everything was alright.  I re-suited up and headed back onto the bike course to look.  After about 3-4 miles I started to honestly get worried.  First I forgot my phone, and once again...don't know CPR, and I thought what was I going to do to help?  I don't have pegs for her to ride, and no handlebars either.  Luckily as I crested a hill, there she was just peddling along trying to ignore the cars roaring beside her.  Bless this girl for undertaking this adventure.  She has little experience in endurance racing, and I could tell doesn't have a bunch of experience on the bike (her knuckles were white she was hanging on so hard).  Against the odds, by herself, and with mechanical troubles on her bike - she kept on trucking through the workout.  Absolutely no quit, and a smile on her face the entire time.  By the time we got back to the center, the rest of the team had finished up their runs.  Not once did Melissa think of quitting, and as a sign of comraderie - Joeli (another team member) volunteered to run the route a second time with her.  What did I tell you - GREAT people.

So that gets us up to present.  Hopefully I'll keep up, and the posts will be more frequent (and shorter).  I'm still not to my goal yet, so if anyone has any ideas, or would like to help - I'm all ears.
Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment